There are no perfect Google Ads campaigns. You can always fix something to get more clicks. The good news is you don’t have to waste your time improving your Google Ads performance. We’ll show you how to do that easily using PromoNavi’s recommendations tools.
3 Ways to Boost Google Ads Traffic
To get more clicks, you may:
- Find more keywords. Every additional keyword increases cumulative search volume and expands the number of relevant search queries. So, your ads receive more impressions and clicks.
- Remove conflicting negative keywords. You may have enough keywords, but some of them are being blocked by negative keywords,so you aren’t able to maximize clicks. The decision is to remove conflicting negative keywords.
- Optimize ads. Identify ads with low CTR and change their headlines and descriptions. Optimized ads will drive more traffic.
All in all, we’ve got 3 ways to get more Google Ads clicks. Let’s delve into each technique.
1. Expand Your Keywords List
Frequently, to find new keywords, advertisers will use the Google Keyword Planner. That is a normal practice, but not without its problems: you can’t know in advance if your chosen keywords are effective. You have to start “field trials” to know which keywords drive more traffic and conversions on a lower budget.
Alternative sources of new keywords are Google Ads and Google Analytics search term reports.
For example, you can find new keywords in the Google Ads Search Terms Report. Go to Reports / Predefined reports (Dimensions) / Basic / Search terms.
The Search terms report contains search terms with performance metrics: Clicks, Impressions, CTR, CPC, etc.
There are two problems with this report:
1. It doesn’t contain behavior metrics, such as Average Time on Site or % Exit. But they are still important for understanding keyword performance.
To solve this problem, you should link your Google Analytics account to Google Ads. Then, go to Google Analytics and open the Google Ads Search Queries report. Behavior metrics are available there, as well as performance metrics.
2. Another challenge is choosing search queries and adding them to your Google Ads campaign manually – it’s a waste of time!
To solve these two problems, connect your Google Ads account to PromoNavi and use the Expand Your Keyword List tool.
The tool’s main features are:
- search queries reporting with both performance and behavior metrics;
- the ability to use filters to find new effective keywords;
- automatic identification of relevant ad groups for each keyword, so you don’t have to do that manually;
- the tool automatically adds selected keywords to your Google Ads campaign.
Let’s see how it works.
Go to promonavigator.com and sign up or sign in. Then click CONNECT GOOGLE ADS ACCOUNT.
Choose the Google Ads account you want to connect.
Сollecting recommendations takes some time. After 5-10 minutes you’ll see the recommendations dashboard. Click OPEN to move on to detailed account data.
The total money spends, as well as the amount of potential savings and clicks, are available here. The chart shows impressions and clicks dynamics.
Click “Campaigns” to open metrics for your campaigns. Click OPEN to go to recommendations.
The Expand Your Keyword List tool is available in the “All recommendations” section. Sometimes the tool doesn’t suggest any new keywords, because the campaign doesn’t have enough data. Or, the Google Analytics account is not connected, in which case you’ll see the error “Fix Google Analytics problems”. Click the error to fix the problem.
When both Google Ads and Google Analytics accounts are connected, the tool’s recommendations become available. Click the EXPAND YOUR KEYWORD LIST block to display the new keywords.
Choose the campaigns for which you want to get keyword recommendations.
The tool finds relevant keywords that can bring you additional traffic. The total amount of potential clicks (per year) is displayed in the top right corner.
The table contains metrics for each suggested keyword: Visits, Impressions, CTR, CPC, Spend, Avg Time, % Exit, Conversions. The source of data is Google Ads and Google Analytics from the last 30 days.
You can filter keywords by different metrics: Visits, Impressions, CTR, CPC, etc. But remember that too strict filtering reduces the number of suitable keywords. In most cases, 1-2 filtering conditions are enough to choose effective keywords.
Click Show in the Ads column to see all the ads that will run with the current keyword.
To add keywords to the campaign, tick/select them and press the ADD TO GOOGLE ADS button. The changes to your Google Ads campaign will be performed automatically. The tool adds these keywords to the ad groups from the Ad group column.
Besides the NEW RECOMMENDATIONS tab, there are two more tabs:
- APPLIED — the list of keywords already added to a campaign;
- DECLINED — the list of keywords already declined.
This way, the Expand Your Keyword List tool lets you easily find new keywords and add them to your campaign.
There are two more PromoNavi recommendation tools that can increase the number of clicks. Let’s continue our overview.
2. Remove Conflicting Negative Keywords
Negative keywords prevent ads from showing up for irrelevant search queries. But sometimes, they block normal keywords from matching relevant search queries: this makes your campaigns less efficient.
Why do negative keywords conflict with normal keywords?
1. Negative keywords could have a broader match type than normal keywords.
Example. We are interested in users searching for a free demo version of CMS, but not a free CMS. So, we add the keyword “CMS free demo” and negative keyword “free CMS”. What happens in this case? Broad match negative keyword “free CMS” blocks the normal keyword “CMS free demo”. The decision is to use an exact match instead of a broad match. Thereby, the negative keyword “[free CMS]” will block only irrelevant search queries.
2. Conflicts may arise because of campaign-level negative keywords.
Example. We are running ads for a PromoNavi keyword tool. To avoid the irrelevant search term “keyword tool io” we are adding it as a negative keyword at the campaign level. Later, we decide to test the new ad with two headlines: “PromoNavi Keyword Tool” and “Better Than Keywordtool io”. The search term “keyword tool io” is relevant for the tested ad, but it is blocked at the campaign level.
No matter the reason, if you want to fix keyword conflicts, you should identify them first, and PromoNavi’s Conflicting Negative Keywords tool will be able to handle it.
The tool finds negative keywords that block normal keywords from matching relevant search queries. Remove these negative keywords, and your campaign becomes more effective.
The tool is available in the Google Ads Recommendations section. Сhoose the campaigns for which you want to get conflicting negative keywords.
In the table, there are negative keywords as well as blocked normal keywords and the associated ad groups.
Click Show in the Ads column to see the blocked ads.
If you want to unblock these ads, remove the corresponding negative keywords. Tick or select the relevant negative keywords and press the REMOVE NEGATIVE KEYWORDS button. The changes to your Google Ads campaign will be performed automatically.
As a result, your Google Ads campaign becomes free of the negative keyword conflicts and drives more traffic.
If you don’t want to delete some of the suggested negative keywords and would like to stop getting recommendations for them, tick the checkboxes next to those keywords and press DECLINE (DO NOT SUGGEST).
3. Optimize Your Ads
An ad’s position on the Google search results page depends on the bid level and Quality Score. So, if you want to get more clicks on the same budget you should increase your Quality Score, rather than a bid.
The Quality Score is reported on a 1-10 scale and includes three components: expected CTR, ad relevance, and landing page experience.
Here are five tips to make ads more relevant:
1. Add keywords in the ad title. The title is the most important ad element, so it must be extremely relevant to the search query.
2. Add keywords in the path. This helps users to understand that the page is really relevant to the request.
3. Use a third headline. Three headlines attract more attention and drive more clicks.
4. Use a second description. The “fatter” or more dense your ads are, the more informative and noticeable they are.
5. Capitalize the first letters in headlines. This makes headlines significant and will drive more clicks.
To check your ads for optimization, you can use PromoNavi’s Optimize Ads tool. This tool analyzes your ads and recommends ways to increase their CTR.
The tool is available in the Google Ads Recommendations section. Choose the campaigns for which you want to get ad recommendations.
The list of ads is presented in a table. The potential amount of clicks (per year) is displayed in the top right corner. That’s how many more clicks you can get by improving your ads.
For every ad in the table, you can see the number of recommendations and potential clicks.
To display recommendations, click on the pencil icon to the left.
In a drop-down window, you’ll find the ad text displayed (1) and the recommended changes you should make (2). The name of the ad group and keywords are displayed at the top of the window.
Let’s accept the recommended change: to add keywords in the Path. After the changes are done, take a look at the recommendations list. All recommendations should be marked with a green checkmark. This means that everything is done correctly. Now, press the APPLY EDITS button to save changes.
If you don’t want to follow the recommendation to change the ad text, just click the “x” icon to decline the recommendation.
Note that all changes to your Google Ads account are performed automatically.
Now you know three ways to increase the number of clicks. They are:
- Expanding the keyword list with keywords that have good performance and acquisition metrics.
- Removing conflicts between negative keywords and normal keywords by deleting negative keywords that are blocking your ads.
- Optimizing ads with five key ad content tips to make them more relevant, noticeable and clickable.
With PromoNavi’s recommendation tools, you can avoid routine work. Just connect your Google Ads and Google Analytics account to PromoNavi, and you’ll be able to receive and perform recommendations automatically. This saves you time and gives you more control over your Google Ads campaigns.